Some might call them cootie catchers, to others they are fortune tellers, but to US, they are an amazing way to review classroom material! These are hands-on study tools that get secondary students active and engaged in their learning plus they’re really fun to use too!
- Cut out the fortune teller along the outermost lines.
- With the paper blank side up, fold the outer corners inwards and crease along the line until they meet in the middle of the sheet and make a square.
- Fold the outer corners of the new square backwards along the line until they meet in the middle of the sheet and make another smaller square with the questions on the outside and answers on the inside.
- With the questions face up, fold the square in half both ways, making sure to crease the paper to get a nice fold.
- Open the square back up so that the main words are face up.
- Lift the flaps and squeeze the corners until they touch in the center
To Use Them:
- Students can work by themselves or with a partner to study using their fortune teller.
- Start by picking one of the four words on the outside of your fortune teller.
- For each letter that makes up the word, open and close the fortune teller until you reach the last letter of the word.
- The questions that are visible on the last letter will serve as the questions the student can choose from.
- Pick a question out of the four that are visible.
- Answer the question aloud or in your head.
- Check your answer by opening the flap.
- Close the fortune teller and start again!
- Use one set at a station or print the entire unit for a station rotation unit review day
- Provide them at student tables at the beginning of your class as bellwork
- Ask students a question from the fortune teller on their way out of your room as an exit ticket
- After students have completed an assignment
- For enrichment at the end of a lesson
- For differentiation
- Have students make their own
Inspire Students. Love Teaching Again.
What if we told you to stop creating lessons from scratch? We have everything you need to successfully teach life science and biology. Just ask our teachers!
"Oh my gosh, I love you both - too soon? No! My class loved this, learned a ton AND my family thanks you for saving me planning time!" - Kellie S.
Join over 85,000 teachers that are seeing results with our lessons. Subscribe to our newsletter to try one for FREE and get a coupon for 15% off your first order!